Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Uneventful.

Life’s a dull ever since the semester started. Everyday I’m just caught in the web of research, my honours thesis and translation theories. Somehow, I just cannot seem to organize these theories in a logical way for my thesis and inside my head is just a bunch of information all messed up… It’s been like that for the past three weeks, but now I’m catching up on research, reading up “quite” intensively and trying to push my way through on starting to write this thesis which is actually called a critical commentary intended to address translation issues I face in my translation project. Because it’s not the conventional kind of thesis, I am having a little difficulty starting on it but I am glad that I don’t have to write 20,000 words of thesis. This translation thesis that I’m doing is 2/3 translations and 1/3 critical commentary, so it’s about 5,000words of commentary that I have to write.

This semester, I have no official classes. It is just basically thesis-writing. So it’s really such a dull without much of a campus life, only the meetings with my supervisor would bring me to UQ twice a week. I’m just on my own the rest of the time. I meet up with some friends once in awhile, but without cliques to hang out with, I feel quite lonely at times. Good friends have all graduated and gone home. This is probably one of the reasons why I can’t wait to graduate and leave this place as well.

On the bright side, I have been trying to achieve multiple tasks with the time I have. Besides working on my thesis, I am also self-studying Korean, translating other kinds of short texts and trying to cultivate the former habit of spending more time with books (non-academia). When I was younger, I used to read quite a lot… series and series of books but why did this habit die throughout the years? I love reading, but I realised that I cannot stay reading as long as I did last time. So right now I’m just trying to cultivate the reading habit again.

3 comments:

  1. Ah... I wish I don't have to write 20,000 words for my Economic Project literature review but 5,000 words instead! But yeah, I know it's tough to figure out how to approach the project (I've been under pressured almost everyday ever since the semester's started), so it's understandable to know your current position. Anyway, all the very best for your thesis writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't know you have to write that much words for a lit review! So then you have to write another thesis the following sem with 20,000words as well?
      Oh, you feel that way too hey. Stressful just thinking about it. haha. ><
      Thanks, John. Same to your lit review writing as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I have to write no more than 20,000 words again if I plan to take the thesis next semester (likely). If I decide to pursue Phd level, the max word count is 80,000 words (probably the same if you decide to do Phd on Korean?). :)

    ReplyDelete