Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Korea, A and I

I’m finally blogging about my one-month stay in Korea. The dream I didn’t want to wake up from and the bitter-sweet experiences I had during my stay.
Straight to the point- I was able to tour the main cities of Korea thanks to A’s meticulous guidance. Seoul, Busan and his hometown, Daegu are the three biggest cities in S. Korea. We also went to Kyeong-Ju, a city in Kyeongsang province to see the first sunrise of 2011, and Cheon-An, where his school was located at.
Out of the 3 major cities we visited, I enjoyed Busan the most. I think it’s such a lovely city, just like Seoul but less crowded. The haeundae beach is beautiful~! It was kind of warm at the beach so I enjoyed walking there with him and watching the Busan’s gal-mae-gi (seagulls) flying around. hehe.. And the most important thing was, it wasn’t as cold as Seoul and Daegu! For all major seafood lovers, Busan is THE place to be. They have everything and anything… it’s either weird looking and tasting seafood which I’ve never seen before or the way they eat certain seafood which is very different from Singapore style.
Seoul is no doubt the most buzzling city out of the three with all the happening events there!! The capital city is not only a metropolitan city but it also preserved significant historical sites. Shopping there is endless as well… the famous dong-dae-mun and myeong-dong are every girl’s heaven!! Insa-dong, where tradition is heavily preserved, offers many sweet treats to tourists and locals! I enjoyed my time there, drinking traditional tea and savouring on traditional treats!! Hehe.
The only negative point about Seoul is that it’s THE COLDEST CITY OUT OF THE 3 CITIES. When we were there, the lowest temperature was -18dc!!  Freeeezing cold… Sooo cold we couldn’t really enjoy walking outside. That day we even went up to Namsan tower and couldn’t really stay outside for long when we went to hang our “love lock” there! My hands turned cold so fast, it freaking hurt and was a little swollen- even with gloves on. Luckily I had a heat pack with me or else I would return finger-less!! LOL.
image
Our love lock- He bought it.. lol. We wrote our message behind.
Thanks to my “good” luck, after taking a few photos at Namsan, my camera battery died. So I couldn’t take much quality photos while I was up there! I took some with my phone camera which obviously sucks in quality. I have yet to upload those photos yet because it’s so troublesome to. :P
In Seoul, we also went to other places like the Han River, 63 Building, Hanok village (same place I went to in 2009; he thought the one I went to was located at another area), Seoul’s City hall (outdoor skating rink), Coex Aquarium (one of the places RUNNING MAN went to in their recent episode), Kyungbok Palace and Cheong-gae-cheon~
Daegu is the third largest city and it’s also A’s hometown. As compared to the other 2 larger cities, Daegu does things in moderation of course, just like the amusement park we went to. It’s not as large as Seoul’s amusement parks but at least it still has Daegu Tower where we could ice-skate inside! While I was in Korea, we went ice-skating twice (the other time was outdoor skating in Seoul). Even if I’d ice-skated a few times in Singapore before,  it’s understandable that I can’t skate right? To me, able to skate= able to move with skates on the ice! But to A, able to skate= able to glide around like Kim Yuna (so it seems to me). :P He was able to skate fast and quite stably but he still said he CAN’T skate. –_-; For me, I was like walking on the ice because it has been so long since I last skated and I always walk on ice when I skated in the past. Haha. I needed time to practice!!!
image
our 2nd ice-skating date at Daegu tower~
We also went to Cheon-An, another city located at Chungcheong province, to visit his school for a day. That day, it was snowing!!! It snowed a looooot and from the photos you could see snow covering everything. I was so excited seeing the snow… but A was passive about it because of his bad experiences with snow (especially during his army days).
image
A’s uni, looking beautiful covered in snow..
When we returned to Seoul from Cheon-An, I got really sick the next day. It was from the inflammation of my throat (from SG) which worsened due to the cold weather- I had a high fever, headache and flu. It was so bad I had to stay in bed the whole day!!!! T-T Just like in dramas (hehe), A took care of me the whole day… he went out to buy medicine and porridge while I lied in bed. I don’t know if I was sick or the porridge tasted really horrible. When I’m really sick, I would lose my appetite almost completely and anything would taste horrible to me. Furthermore, I’m not a fan of porridges so I had such a terrible time eating the porridge but A said I had to eat no matter what so that I would have strength and energy to fight the sickness. In the end he had to feed me… haha… But honestly the porridge was sooo dry which is the kind of porridge I hate the most. Watery porridge is still acceptable but dried out porridge is just bleeeah!! >:P
There were a few other times when I needed to eat medicine. One time was when I got hurt while playing baseball at one of the arcades in Daegu. Yeah they have this baseball area with real baseball bats and balls, and if anyone wants to play, they have to enter a cubicle and insert coins. Once coins are inserted, the baseball balls will be shot out towards the player. I was such an amateur I had my hands held so high on the bat that the ball actually hit my thumb!!! –_-;;; DAMN HELLISH FREAKING PAIN!!! It was like having a drawer slammed onto your thumb but 100times more painful!! The injured area was at the base of my thumb nail. It bled a lot from the tear of my skin. But I think I was really lucky not to have the ball slam into my thumb bones (joint) or elsewhere!! Or else I cannot imagine what could have happen to my poor thumb!!! Lucky me.
I actually have other sicknesses but I’m not going to type everything here because it’s getting too damn long. Haha~
To end it off, although I was sick a few times, I had a greeeeeat time, especially spending each and every precious day with him…

No comments:

Post a Comment