Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

사극 (史劇)

일지매 (il-ji-mae)사극 (sa-geuk) means historical drama. I realised my love for 사극 has almost completely replaced Korean dramas with modern settings. Whenever a new 사극 is released I find myself looking forward to watching it with more enthusiasm than other dramas on my must-watch list. To me, one of the most appealing aspects of 사극 is the protagonists’ abilities to solve different kinds of problems without the presence of modern technology, i.e. computers, mobile phones, cars, etc. I know that THAT IS what 사극 is about and THAT’S just the appealing point! In our age and time, the issues that people faced at that time could easily be solved with modern technology. But it amazes me how people of that era employ tactics and strategies to work their way around things, solving puzzles and mysteries without the use of modern technology.
Another appealing aspect of 사극 is the rich cultural content vividly displayed on-screen, the historical cultural roots that characterised today’s Korean society (or Chinese or Japanese, because this applies to their historical dramas as well). The historical and cultural roots flamboyantly displayed in these dramas are also the reasons why they are well received in the home country- the traditional clothes (hanbok), the houses, the lifestyle they led and so on.  Even as a foreigner, I find the hanbok so beautiful and appealing. In addition, it’s an entertaining way to learn Korean history! It’s through the drams did I learn a lot about the Shilla and Joseon dynasty.
One of my Korean friends admitted that Korea makes awesome 사극 and I agreed.
Although I’ve watched 대장금 (dae-jang-geum/da-chang-jin) on TV, I didn’t really follow the entire drama, just bits and pieces. If I remember correctly, 일지매 (il-ji-mae) was the first 사극 I completed. The reason was because Lee Junki starred in it so I watched it even though I wasn’t too attracted to the idea of watching a 사극 drama at first. But the storyline kept me hooked besides the fact that Lee Junki’s acting was top-notch.
이산(Lee San)
After that, my second 사극 was probably 이산 (yi-san), the one with 77 episode starring Lee Seo Jin. The storyline was so good- a mix of treachery, betrayal, love and action! This is probably the drama that made me look at 사극 in a whole new way. That 사극 surpass modern Korean dramas in so many ways! Oh my god, one of the best dramas I’ve ever watched! Or so I thought before I watched 선덕여왕 (Queen Seon-deok). I did a drama review (more like a drama rave) post before so I will not go into much details but if anyone is looking for a 사극 to start on, watch Queen Seon-deok (62 episodes), one of the most epic drama ever. It’s amazing to watch a female ruler rise to power in the country that will later be gripped by Confucius values, pushing the status of women to the lowest ever during the Joseon dynasty.
If you’re looking to watch a shorter 사극, try 공주의 남자 (The Princess’s Man) that recently ended in Korea at 24 episodes, a Joseon Romeo and Juliet love story that will keep you captivated throughout!
image선덕여왕 (Queen Seon-Deok)
image공주의 남자 (The Princess’s Man)
It’s a pity 사극 aren’t receiving as much love as the other modern Korean dramas internationally. Well, sometimes the length may be quite a turn off (even to me!), but what makes the story is the development of storyline and characters that go with it.
I am currently watching 동이 (dong-yi), which I had stopped for awhile due to assignments, and starting on 뿌리 깊은 나무 (Tree with deep roots).

No comments:

Post a Comment