Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Listening to DBSK’s songs all over again.

It’s weird that I’ve never been to a REAL noraebang/노래방 (karaoke in Korean) once during my one-month stay in Korea but in the past four days, I have been there twice here in Brissy! Gabby and I found a really nice noraebang, it’s not that cheap but I really like the entire ambience, the friendly staff and the nice rooms! Well, as compared to the other noraebang (I used to only know that one in the city), this new noraebang is so much better!

It feels really good to just sing your heart out and also to know that at least we have another THING we can do in the city. LOL. During these two noraebang sessions, I have sang almost all the DBSK songs they have, ALMOST. From this, I realised that I need to re-listen to their songs again, not because I don’t know how to sing their songs but because I’m in a new phase right now. This new phase refers to my grasp of Korean.

Back then, when I first became their fan, I relied on the musical side of the songs to appreciate them since the language forbade me from understanding the lyrics. It was a phase of zero Korean knowledge. Now that I’m in a whole new phase with a higher standard of the language, I find myself re-discovering their old songs. Songs which I had put on replay endlessly on my mp3, songs which only to their rhythms I can hum to. Right now, I have entered a phase that not only appreciates the musical side of Korean songs but the lyrical side as well. Currently, I found myself appreciating the lyrics of Korean songs more and more, but at the same time I had drifted away from DBSK’s songs because it’s saddening to listen to their songs when they were 5. It is also sad to listen to either 2 or 3 of them but I still do, just not as much as I used to.

Going to noraebang and singing their old songs, made me read the lyrics and that’s when I realised how beautiful the lyrics of their songs are. Back then, I wasn’t that keen in reading English translations because I thought reading them sort of destroyed the feelings I get from listening to their songs. But sometimes for non-Korean speakers, it is difficult to show them how beautiful their lyrics are without English translations (which might not do justice to the original Korean lyrics).

In addition, this new phase not only includes my grasp of Korean, my relationship status does make everything different as well. Hehe. Honestly, I tend to appreciate love songs more now that I’m attached. What is so much more emotional is when these love songs I appreciate comes from DBSK.

image

---

Side note: If you guys didn’t realise, I took away my tag board because it seems kind of useless when only two or three people are tagging. Well maybe those are the only readers left (sad), but if any of you need to say something just post a comment in the post. AND, tick the boxes at the end of each blog post! Haha.. actually I ticked one of them myself in the previous post. :P

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mayz,

    Don't be sad! I do read your blog every now and then. Love reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesslyn! you still read my blog! hahaha thanks!! :D

    ReplyDelete